- OneWeb’s third launch and second of 2020 is scheduled for March 21st from the Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan.
- Arianespace will launch 34 OneWeb satellites, bringing the OneWeb constellation to 74 satellites.
- OneWeb’s launch theme will commemorate the late Russian cosmonaut Alexei Leonov, who became the first person to walk in Space 55 years ago this month.
London, March 17, 2020 - OneWeb, the global communications company with a mission to bring connectivity to everyone everywhere, confirmed its next launch will take place on Saturday, March 21st at 17:06 (GMT) / 1:06 PM (EDT) / 22:06 (local time) from the historic Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.
The second launch for OneWeb in 2020, these additional 34 satellites will bring the constellation total to 74. The satellites are built by OneWeb Satellites, a joint venture between OneWeb and Airbus, that has revolutionized satellite manufacturing with a new high-volume manufacturing process that can build up to two satellites a day.
Arianespace will launch OneWeb’s satellites into a near polar orbit of 450 kilometers, after which they will be raised to their final orbit of 1,200 kilometers.
OneWeb’s first customer demos are scheduled for the end of 2020 and availability of commercial services, for sectors such as maritime, aviation, government and enterprise, scheduled for the end of 2021.
The theme for this launch commemorates the late Russian cosmonaut Alexei Leonov, who made history 55 years ago when he became the first person to exit a spacecraft and walk in Space. The OneWeb mission patch bears his name and celebrates his achievement (see below).
OneWeb will be streaming the launch on Facebook and you can follow the launch on OneWeb social media channels: YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook.
For live transmission of the launch (w English commentary) go to:
OneWeb on Facebook
OneWeb Launch 3 Toolkit
OneWeb Launch Campaign, Baikonur – 6 February 2020
Image Mission Patch (.PDF)
Video How OneWeb works
ArianeSpace and Glavkosmos
Soyuz Launch Complex, Baikonur, Kazakhstan.
17:06 UTC / 1:06 PM EDT / 22:06 local time – March 21, 2020
Mission Timeline (all times approximate)
- 4 h 30 min. Launch vehicle fuelling begins
- 1 h 35 min. End of fuelling operations
- 5 min 09s. Key on start
- 5 min. Fregat transfer to onboard power supply
- 40 s Ground-onboard power transfer
- 28 s Lower stage umbilical mast retraction
- 19 s Ignition
- 14 s Preliminary thrust level
OneWeb's mission is to enable Internet access everywhere, for everyone. OneWeb is building a communications network with a constellation of low-Earth-orbit satellites that will provide connectivity to people around the world. OneWeb is creating business solutions for Broadband, Government and Cellular Backhaul. Its high speed, low latency, network will offer game-changing Mobility solutions to industries that rely on global connectivity, such as Aviation, Maritime, Automotive, Trains and more. http://www.oneweb.world
OneWeb, Washington DC
M: +44 203 727 1000